Thursday, June 28, 2012

Addiction to Fiction

I am about to start on a journey that was recommended to me from my fellow "Goodreaders." Stephanie Plum, a character in the fiction novel series by Janet Evanovich, is about to enter my life. I am dedicating myself to reading the 18 books in the series starting with "One for the Money," and Goodreads will help me track my progress and see how long it takes for me to finish the series.

I decided to start this journey for two reasons. It was recommended, like I said above, and I learned a very important lesson during my seven month deployment to Afghanistan. That lesson was that I deserve to, and can escape from my own life by losing myself in a character in a book. I read some sub-par books that I was trying to finish as fast as possible, but when I got involved in the Steig Larsson series, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, "The Girl Who Played with Fire," and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest," I was enthralled! These books were the most difficult series of books that I have read to this point. They combined foreign language elements and foreign politics, neither of which interested me. This is a prime example of using book reviews to help guide you throughout your reading journey. Never in my life did I think a highly saturated book in subjects that I have no interest in would interest me, but the reviews were saying that a lot of people were having that same difficult time. I pressed forward and made the right decision. I carried my books around with me everyday. I was really mad when I finished the three-book series, I need more. I had to read them again.

...and again...

I

Anyway, I want to leave you with this...In Afghanistan, local national men there were particularly intrigued by the fact that I was reading books at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I started to think about why they were staring and I realized that it was because I am a female. Women aren't encouraged to read there. I am thankful everyday that in America I am encouraged to read and I am going to exploit that and I hope that you will too!

*Monica*

2 comments:

  1. Fun stuff. Try A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look those up on my goodreads acct. A Thousand Splendid Suns interests me, just based off of the title! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete