Monday, June 25, 2012

My Plase of Soliss (My Place of Solace)

A colorful, round, patio table umbrella made it into my cart at my weekly trip to Walmart. I immediately came home to install it so that the sun's rays were reflected away from the hammock that I was about to lay on to finish reading the book that is referenced in my other posts, The Wizard of Oz. After 2 hours, I finally succeeded in my goal. Did I really need the hammock, umbrella, and beautiful weather to give me the motivation I needed to take a break? YES! I had a mental block that prevented me from reading.



I also read an article the other day that also gave me the kick I needed to accomplish this task. The question it posed was simply "Why is Reading Important?" After reading it I realized how important reading is to get through life easier. A higher vocabulary is one of the major gains when you are a regular reader. A prime example of this is a situation that arose during work last week. I work in a job where we analyze information that is given to us and provide that information to very important people. One of my coworkers misspelled the word "hangar." Instead of describing a shelter for an aircraft, he chose the spelling of the item used to hang clothes up, "hanger." Now, in our field of work, this was an obvious typo, but I personally feel that reading enhances your vocabulary that minimizes spelling errors and this article reinforced my feelings about this. Thankfully, it was regarded as a typo and there were no repercussions for my coworker. Could you imagine getting fired from a job because of a misspelling or a miscommunication? It could happen in a bad economy when the company is participating in lay-offs and trying to keep the "best of the best." That could be the difference between you and your peers.

So, if you need that extra push to convince you to get into reading, find your place of solace-it doesn’t have to be a patio with an umbrella, but maybe a warm bath, or your car in the form of an audio book, and really think about the benefits that will affect you in a positive way.


No comments:

Post a Comment