Saturday, June 9, 2012

Christmas Reading in June!




So, on my Kindle e-reader, a Christmas gift from my husband, I have a book that I have been reading since January! Check your calendar, it is June 9th. My Christmas tree was still up, the house still smelled liked cookies and fudge, and I started "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by Frank Baum to start off the new year of reading. My goal for the year is 15 books. I raised my goal from last year by 10 because I read almost 20 books for pleasure. I don't want to focus on that too much since that can impede my reading. I did find myself getting discouraged over the last 40 pages of Oz. I know the excuses I have used in regards to this book were NOT true or applicable. With the e-readers you can add to the excuse list, it needs to be charged!

I really like the book, too! I grew up watching the movie with Judy Garland as Dorothy. The book includes things that aren't even mentioned in the movie! Besides the fact that I love a good musical, the book is so much better than the movie by miles. How does it end? Well I will eventually find out.

The only reason I picked this book to read is because I know the story. Sometimes reading something you are really familiar with will help get you through the book faster. If I didn't pick this book, I would have picked "Pride and Prejudice," another book that I am very familiar with and I consider an easy read. I would say to start off with what you know until you are confident to pick an unfamiliar topic to start reading.

If only I could have pushed myself by setting a goal. That's a good idea. Maybe at the two-week mark in my reading I can break down the remainder of the book in an even amount of pages and set a time frame! I'm going to try that now that I have a mandatory non-fiction book to read at the same time along with my school work.

New goal for "The Wizard of Oz": Finish 5 pages a day for 8 days!!!! If that doesn't work, and I read 2 pages a day I will still be successful. My ultimate goal is progress in finishing the book.

*Monica*





No comments:

Post a Comment